Monday, June 1, 2009

Trying something new: Bantu Knots

I'm super lazy when it comes to my hair. I like styles that are simple and easy to take care of. This is probably why I've rocked a doobie wrap since elementary school. For the past two months I've been so over my hair. I need a relaxer badly, but I don't feel like putting one of those things in my hair, having to flat iron and then curl it only to have to follow the same process -- minus the relaxer-- two weeks later. For the record, Jacksonville is nothing like NY (man I miss it) when it comes to salons that are proficient in black haircare. As far as I know there is only one Dominican salon and their prices are ridiculous for the mediocre work they do. I was bloghopping yesterday when I came across Sexy and the Chi's post about Bantu Knots. I've never heard of them, but after seeing the picture of them I realized that I saw them all the time, I just never knew the name. Below is a tutorial on how to do Bantu Knots and the result. After that I'll show you how mine came out.

How to:


The result:




Her Bantu knots came out beautifully. Mine...not so much. I'm attributing that to our different hair lengths and textures. I was actually pleased with mine. I just blowdryed my hair that day and I didn't want to wash or wet it again to do the knots so I decided to just use wrapping lotion as a substitute before trying the style. The only drawback with the wrapping lotion is that the curls come out somewhat stiff. I still received compliments on them though, and with the hot weather it felt really good not having hair on my neck.

If you plan on trying these know that the more hair used in a knot, the larger your curls will be. Also, the longer your hair, the longer your curls will fall. That's all common sense though, right? I think I'll try these, along with some of Dana's haircare tips, again.










The individual curl:

1 comments:

D Alexandra said...

OMG TOYA! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! Did I mention I LOVE it?

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com

Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog