Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"I remember when I went to this church and 30 minutes into the sermon, people were dropping like flies" -the sister

Going to college in the South has opened my eyes in so many ways and has brought me to so many experiences including church in the south..

I always feel so out of place when I go to church. My spirit is there, but with everyone shouting and stomping, I feel so...not like them.

Two weeks ago, a friend and I decided to try out a different church. We've heard about Bethel from the guy who leads Bible study and we heard that it's a really good church. I'm always reluctant to go to new churches, especially small ones, for fear of being dubbed "the stranger." One thing I've learned from being in the South is that there are few small churches, and this church was no exception. It was HUGE, and my fear dissipated as soon as we pulled into the parking lot.

The word was about friends. The pastor's exact words were, "Does your network determine your net worth?" It was deep. I felt it. I just don't know if I felt it as deep as other people did. They were in the aisles jumping, shouting, stomping, touching their neighbors. Meanwhile, I was feeling it sitting down, hands in my lap. Occasionally, I would clap, raise my hand to praise, or nod my head in agreement.

At one point the pastor asked, "Can I get a AMEN?" Everyone not only said Amen, but jumped up while doing so. I stayed seated..and I did not say Amen. Not because I didn't agree, but because it felt weird shouting it like that. When my friend and I stayed seated, the lady two seats to my left glanced at us. I know it wasn't a judgmental look, but I sometimes wonder if anyone feels like the two girls sitting down are just not as into the sermon as they are. Speaking for myself, I just don't praise like everyone else. I hope this doesn't sound judgmental because I'm not trying to be. I don't jump up. I don't shout. I don't stamp my feet. In fact, I didn't learn about praise hand motions until I came to college. I've always sat there nodding my head when I agreed with something or speaking quietly to God when something touched my heart.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com

Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog