Monday, March 23, 2009

Americanization

At the job..

Me: "What's your name?"

Her: "Eve."

Me: "Eve?" [I have to repeat, that's the only way I remember]

Her: "Yes"

Me: "Hi Eve, I'm LaToya"


I go on to the procedural stuff, what writing tutors do, how I'm going to help her, how she is going to help herself, etc. A few seconds later she pulls out her paper because she wants me to check her MLA format. She pushes her paper over to my side of the table.
Above her teacher's name, class, and date, I see her real name: Nhuy.

I thought why in the hell...
But I guess she must be used to people not saying her name correctly, so she gives them her American name.

1 comments:

Keena said...

A alot of Asian people do that. My old boss on campuus does that, her real name is Lei-Fueng and she tells everyone to call her Cindy. I asked her why and she told me that was her "American name" I don't know if that translates to mean the same thing or if her parents gave her an "American name" as well. I would do the same thing if I knew people were going to butcher my name everyday.

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com

Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog